Monday, May 10, 2010

I accidently cut my dogs nail too short and it was bleeding please help me?

I accidently cut it too short, and it's bleeding. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and I think the bleeding has stopped now, but is this harmful? Serious answer only please. This is not just a dog to me, it's my baby girl.I accidently cut my dogs nail too short and it was bleeding please help me?
Hi Angel, First and Foremost . . . From one Doggie Mommie of three to another, I applaud you for loving your baby girl so much!





I’m very sorry to hear of the accident, I know it must have been very frightening for you. I’ve done the same and have felt really bad. Get yourself a pair of clippers that has a guard tab so you can only cut a small portion of her nail. I’ll include a web site link to show you what I’m referring to.





It’s probably a “little” tender for her, but it’s nothing serious. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t start bleeding again. If she gets it real dirty, (example:digging in the dirt) I’d rinse it off. A saline solution (for rinsing contact lens) is the BEST for this or to clean a cut because it is sterile. I always keep this on hand!





Other than that it’ll be fine sweetie! Even the vet’s cut them too short sometimes, so don’t feel bad. I use to cut my boy’s nails until my ex-husband nearly cut half his nail off*rolls eyes*! I wanted to smack him up side his head!!! But I was too busy because it bled enormously.





So I let the Vet do it because he’s hesitant on allowing me to now. Your girl might be the same, so next time you cut them, take it real slow with her. For some reason this is something they do not forget!





As I’m sure you know, always keep styptic powder to stop the bleeding if an accident happens. You can use flour, but the other is the best. With her being so little a better choice is the nail sticks. I’ll give you links to show ya what these products are. I’m NOT promoting the seller, only showing you the product.





I found this link that I thought was interesting! http://www.petco.com/product/100690/Onli…





Nail clipper:


http://www.petco.com/product/15409/Finis…





Now here’s a nifty nail clipper that I haven’t seen!!!:


http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_d…





Styptic Powder:


http://www.petco.com/product/2765/Four-P…





Pet swabs: http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_d…





I hope that your baby girl is fine now and that I’ve been helpful. I COMPLETELY understand how it feels to be frightened when your baby has been injured! BIG HUG to you and her! Deb


p.s. If you would like some helpful dog health web site links just shoot me an email. I would be more than happy to share with you!!!I accidently cut my dogs nail too short and it was bleeding please help me?
Dont worry its ok. bleeding stops within a few scounds and plus if you ever cut so short it didnt heres a little tip get a little bit of flour with a very small amount of water mix it together and put it on the tip of the nail(where it bleeding) itll stop the bleeding and it wont hurt at all! =) hope i helped!!
It's not serious, just put some flour on the nail to speed coagulation. It's kinda like cutting your own nail too short, brief pain and a dull ache after unless you've cut the pad. then it's time to call the vet. Your dog will forgive you.
Once the bleeding has stopped, it should be fine. If the bleeding begins again, put a little flour or corn starch on it. Even baby powder will work.
hmmm yeah, i know what you felt.. i accidentally cut my miniature pinschers nails too short too, it bled ,,, i was like ';OMG, im so sorry,'; ... rule when something is bleeding, just put pressure to stop bleeding.. dont worry, our beloved baby's will just be fine ... goodluck.
if the bleeding has stopped you shouldn't have any problems if your worried get some natural vitamin e tablets that have a liquid centre and rub it on the nail bed it should help it heal faster and wont make the dog sick if it licks it. lots of people do this by accident i myself have with my baby boy who has black nails. its something you cant always avoid. but dont stress she will be fine.
It depends on how low you cut it, if it is just alittle bit she is ok, if she doesnt seem to be in any pain I wouldnt worry. If it happens again, Use corn meal or flour, press it to her nail and it should stop the bleeding, and it wont cause infection or anything like that, I have done it before. Accidents happen, If she has black nails its really hard to tell, if they are regular, next time only cut about half her nail and dont get too close to the pink part, if she has black nails you just have to be extra careful
Your dog will be fine. Usually the bleeding doesn't last long.
Take her to the vet.
My wife is a groomer, and it happens all the time... they sell stuff specifically for that actually. I think it's called ';Stop Bleed'; or something like that. White powder stuff that you put on it and it stops bleeding like 2 seconds flat. Probably not super fun for the dog, but not like OMG, let's go the Vet's office, unless it won't stop bleeding.
Hi,what kind of dog is it?Great Dane?Chihuahua?if she starts bleeding the best thing to do is hold onto her and put a towel wet or dry to the spot,even if its stopped bleeding keep it there at least 10 minutes.Its something that happens alot and alot of people freak out.No need to be guilty cause of it.It should be fine.Good Luck
ok instead of clippers next time buy a rotary tool. With a rotary tool you do not run the risk of cutting your dogs blood vessel. This is the kind I have for my dog http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-761-03-Cord…
If its still bleeding, you need to make it stop. Depending on your time zone, go to a pet store now, and get something they have there that will stop it. It wont hurt her, in the long run, but bleeding of any kind is best stopped as soon as possible.Remember, cut only into the white of the nail...a good rule of thumb is, cut a little and see how it goes, best to be safe.
Don't stress, your dog will be ok - the toe nail will grow back. The only thing you should keep an eye out for is infections.

No comments:

Post a Comment